Thursday, March 4, 2010

How do I possibly...

The question, "How do I possibly.." is currently ringing through my head. I have set down to write Sunday's sermon about 3 times now, and everything I write seems dull and lack-luster. Last week I spoke about the history of the coming Messiah and its importance, I ended with the Bridge Demonstration, where Jesus made a bridge for sin. Now this week as the second installment to a 3 part series, comes the life and death of Jesus Christ. I want to relay this message in a way that moves them, in a way that effectively and truthfully describes the weight and depth of this story. For some of these children, its the first time they have heard this beautiful story of romance. You see writing generally comes easy to me. I love words, love sentences, I love putting them together in a way that effectively describes how I feel. I love writing beautiful things about my savior. So you would think that this sermon would be the easiest, most natural for me to write. However, it hasn't. The story is just to big to fit in a 20 minute space. So I have been praying that the Lord would show me what part of His story he wants to convey today, what part of His story they need to hear most. It's hard because most of these kids know nothing, don't know the basic church history that almost all Americans know. They have no context for the life and times of Jesus. So I get stuck because I need to explain the basic facts to allow them to understand, but more than that I need to explain what the cross meant! What the cross meant for me and what the cross meant for them. I need to explain about Jesus's character, about his actions, about his person, more than I need to explain to them what a Pharisee is. So I battle with these two approaches.

So I have been praying and praying about this. I have set down time and time again to write. However, nothing comes, nothing flows, everything seems bland. So I was praying and the Lord communicated, "What does the cross mean to you?" It means so much to me, or maybe it use too, I hadn't really thought about it lately. If you have been a believer for some time I ask that you spend some time today reading the story of Jesus death again. Allow something new to touch your spirit. Different parts of the story stick out and bolster my love for my Christ. The Lord said that you need a revelation of the cross before you can preach on the cross. You need to hear this story as if it was the first time before you preach it for the first time. This made since to me. So as you reread I beg you to see the Lords character, I beg you to see him as a real breathing man before you. I beg you to see, that He was silent. He stayed silent throughout every torturous step. I beg you to see the sentence, "My GOD, MY GOD, why have you forsaken me." In a new way. This sentence sends chill to this day. You see Christ was blanketed in the worlds sin, covered in disgust, and the Lord turned his face. The Lord turned his Holy face because He can not look upon sin. The bible says the world grew dark with this motion.

Think of Jesus as man, think of Jesus in his state of suffering, think of Jesus in all perfection blanketed in the very thing that is opposite of him. Think of Him in His despair being cut from the vine, being left alone. Think of His love for you. Think of His obedience to the king. I ask that you see this in a new light. Also consider this...satan was there. Satan was at the cross, satan whispered in the scoffers ear. Satan urged the people, "crucify, crucify." Satan was there and satan rejoiced. Satan thought he had won. Now I am not exactly sure if this is biblical but this is how I see the cross. Now you see there is a price for a sin, there is a payment that must be paid. When Christ cries out for this "cup to pass" in Gethsemane. I don't think its because He can't possibly bare the psychical beating that is about to come. No, I think it is much much more than that. I think it was because He knew He was about to face the most torturous event in history. What does it mean that, "He took on our sins, that he paid the price for them." I think it means that He bore the torture. You see why does Satan want your soul, why do demons slave day in an day out to win you to their side, think about this? Well its not because they love you, which is the reason for Christs eternal battle. No I think its because if they win you they get to keep you. They get your soul for eternity. They take the pleasure of beating and torturing you for every sin for the rest of eternity. There Joy is your eternal torture. They thirst for your sorrow. So you see Christ took that. Christ said, I will pay there price, I will face the torture that is upon all of my chosen children. I will bare the shame for my elect. If you can possibly pull from every demon movie, Passion film, or any other worldly depiction of what occurs in the realm of the Lord. Imagine the torture that occurred, torture is not even the word. Imagine the Joy that satan took as the king of all kings was handed over to them. Imagine what they did to him? Imagine what happened as He died the death that saved us all. Can you possibly? Most of this is just speculation, but I challenge you to think about the questions proposed. They are important questions.

So the Lord has showered grace upon grace even in this blog. He has shed new light on his story. And communicated love over and over again. Yesterday the kids ask me to read to them, which they do often, which I still don't really understand because they can't understand a word that I am saying. However, they asked me to read this Max Lucado children's story, the Lord rained. I mean strangely enough the story spoke so deeply to my soul. It was a story of how a King fought for his daughter. How a king cleared a path for her return. Now listen girls this is what got me. In the story a prince(our husbands or soon to be husbands.) Said I will go get her, I will rescue her from satans hands, I love her and I will fight to the death for her. The King said, "No, this is my job, I am the only one that can rescue." This was deeply personal to me. Its hard to explain exactly how. Basically the King had chosen a prince for his daughter. It was in his heart for a prince to come. However, He was the rescue, He was the savior, He was the one that would go head strong into battle. He told the prince to wait for His return, He was going in the "forest" for His daughter. I hope this makes a little since. I am going to find the book upon my return and read it to my children!!

So the Lord has urged me. The Lord has answered my question. "Tell them our story." "Tell them our love story, tell them our romance, tell them and they will understand." Even as I type this I receive peace. How stinking romantic is our king? Shoot, I love him. I mean seriously I ask him how do I tell your story, and he responds, "tell them ours, tell them the story of our love." shoot! So tonight I will sit and I will write the greatest love story ever told, I will write my story, our story! Hmmmm...I love Him!

1 comment:

  1. beautiful. the world needs to hear your story! you know it so well, it just makes sense :) i can imagine you squealing like a schoolgirl because of your overwhelming love for our King. He is soooooo good!

    ReplyDelete