Sunday, April 4, 2010

Update on the happenings...









1. We went to see the baby yesterday and she is recovering from her cold and doing very well. Things are well on there way with getting this baby diagnosed and treated. Ream and I love visiting this family because we know that the Lord has us there for a reason, however, its hard. The baby is very sick and we know that only God is big enough for this job. So we place our hope in Jesus that He will complete His good work. Please continue to pray for this family and baby, we need prayers of intercession. We ask for divine healing, wisdom in treatment, medically trained members of the body to come and help this family. We pray for the Lord to come and save the day, whatever that looks like. The mother nearly moved me to tears as she said, "I don't know what I will do if she doesn't make it. She is my life, and if she dies. I die." This is truly beautiful considering everyone in her community continues to pressure her to let her daughter die, for everyone else only see's the baby as a burden. However, the Lord sees this little girl as a gift with a purpose. We continue to help fulfill this beautiful little girls purpose.

2.Church is still going well. Our kids enjoy the service very much and its wonderful to be a part of changing church for them. However, many of our new attendants have faded away. Many claim they are to busy and its clear that Jesus is not even on there radar. We continue to invite them day after day, and I pray and hope they will come to understand the importance. I have turned about 15 mins of English class into a bible lesson. We use scripture to teach English...it has been wonderful to hear them reading and professing truth even though it has not touched their hearts yet. I have faith that "His word will not return void." I love my English students and have become very close to most of them. Sometimes when I talk to them, my mind fades into a picture of the darkness they are surrounded by. Since many will bring offerings to their ancestors this time of year, see witch doctors for medical help, and believe that spirits are the causes for illness. They are covered in darkness. I will continue to plant and water the seed, with full faith that the Lord will send other laborers to complete the harvest! Pray for the harvesters!!

3.If I could bottle one thing it would be laughter! Since most of the time, I can't understand the conversation around me. I have come to know these kids by their various other sounds. I could identify Tong, Tate, Pecktra, Long, Vuthy, Rachana, On, laughing from about a mile away. I pray that Jesus will always allow me to remember there laughter, for it is my Joy! In Khmer there are various non-verbal sounds that communicate feelings, much like in English-a sigh communicates sleepiness. Khmer people have this very specific sound for being annoyed by something. It sounds like, "EEHHaaa." I can hear Channee, La, John, and most of the staffs specific sounds of annoyance in my head. I wish to never forget the sound of Tee, Darow, On, Lim, singing randomly about the house. There is always someone singing, loudly and confidently somewhere in the house:) This is what I want to carry home with me!! I wish to bottle each of there specific sounds and take them home, and open them when I miss them so!! I don't know what I am going to do without them.

p.s. precious moment! I was sitting with Tater on the steps, joking around with him. Then he started punching me over and over, really hard. I said, "what are you doing, why are you hitting me." He responds in almost a squeal, "I just love you so much!" I felt instant kinship with this little 13 year-old, because not only do I love him dearly but generally express my love in a similar fashion. I understand what it feels like to love someone so much that you can do nothing else but hit them....or bite them:)

4. WATER PARK! We took the kids, and the English classes to the water park in the city! Holy Cow! I have never seen our kids so overjoyed! Every single child was nearly coming out of there skin when we arrived. We rented two large trucks, all the English students rode in the back. This was so comical to me, we would have been arrested for this type of transport in the US. Then our kids followed in the van. Sam, the Carsons oldest, when I arrived shortly after him. He shouted from the van. "Auntie! Were here!" Then pumped his fist Rambo style in victory! We played from 8-3 in the afternoon. We had to pull a few of the older boys out of the water. The park was really nice for Cambodia. They had 3 huge slides that the tiny little kids rocketed down. Everyone went time and time again. Truly a day full of JOY! I left with a sunburn and migraine..some of the kids were very confused about why I had suddenly turned red. I did my best to explain. Fun day had by all. Water Park pictures are above. The one of the tiny kid eating a red blob, that Long and he is munching on a chicken heart for lunch.....I was amazed:) All the kids say its the best part:) Oh and the peace sign plagues my pictures...I don't know what it is about Asian teenagers and the peace sign..Stephanie Whisman this was mention specifically for you:)

5. I had a wonderful conversation with Ream a few nights back! The Lord is so insane! He connects his body in ways we can't even imagine. I was talking with her about how things were going and how the Lord was moving. She told me that she had been having a rough time before I arrived. She was over-worked and stressed and prayed to the Lord for relief. She told me stories about how Satan has relentlessly attacked them through broken friendships and relationships. She said, "What we really need is a friend." Then during my quite time I was reading through past journals and stumbled upon an entry right before I left for Cambodia. I was reflecting on a sermon I had heard a CRU, based off of the loaves and fishes story. The preacher highlighted that God first ask the disciples, "what do you have to offer?" and then he performed a miracle with there offerings. The Lord ask me this question before I left. I responded, nothing, I have no skills, no degree, I don't know the language, I have no idea what I have to offer. Then I jokingly wrote, "I am good at being a really good friend." Shut-up Jesus!!! Are you serious? Did you take the one talent that I seem to have and use that specifically on the mission field....um yes you did! I praise you father for your work! How you choose to use even the most under qualified to complete your good work. I am so excited to continue my relationship with Kit and Ream in the future, not to mention to be a part of these children life as long as I can. I have already planned my next visit around Channee, one of our older boys, weddings:) He has a crush on the neighbor girl:)

1 comment:

  1. Courtney,
    Sarah Romans is the babysitter for children. I believe she knows you through Camp Barnabas???? Our boys went last year to Term 6.
    ANyway I am planning on traveling to Cambodia May 15-26. I will be with Hope Corps a division of World Hope International. We will be working with girls that are victims of sex trafficking. I LOVED reading your blog.
    Elizabeth A.

    ReplyDelete