Saturday, January 30, 2010

"Hello, Hello"

So last night was a night of beauty. We went through the gifts I brought which consisted of: Hot-wheels, Walkie-Talkies, Head lamps, and etch and stretch. We gave out most of the toys last night. We started with the hot wheels and they were a huge hit. The kids had all picked there specific cars and headed to this race track that Kit set up. It was fun to see the kids claim victory as there hot wheel made it across first. Then later on that night we introduced....walkie talkies! This was so much fun....the kids couldn't believe that this was happening. They were running all over the property saying, "Hello Hello." Hello Hello was ringing like a chorus form the building. Some of the kids would run up to me with huge smiles on there faces...offering for me to join in the "hello, hello." This continued for hours as the kids swapped off and on and realized that conversation was possible. Cell phones are common place here and they kept asking, "you dont have to pay for this?" It was so much fun!! Then me, kit, and 2 other older boys, strapped head lamps on our heads and raced outside in the night. The kids were all running around with the walkies and soon ran in terror as we chased them with the red light in our eyes. It was so much fun!!! Everyone joined in on the fun, everyone was smiling and laughing, some were even singing-into the walkies of course. For the first time there was no need for me to communicate...I was able to love on them, celebrate Joy with them, without any words. It was a night that fell from heaven and praise Jesus for it!! Sometimes I feel like the white elephant in the room, its difficult for me to know how to communicate, or what to do when I am introduced. I pray for boldness in these situations, strength to not looks so awkward and seem like the weird kid in the corner. I don't exactly know what to do...this will hopefully come with time. Pray for grace upon grace as I find my place! I am doing well here, being stretched out of my comfort zone, having to be very willing to look like a fool, but with all the hope to win the kids and peoples affection. Communication is a priceless gift...everyone reading thank Jesus for your voice and understanding. My heart will forever be changed for the child who is non-verbal, or the foreign exchange student with the difficult accent. Its worth the struggle to connect with them, I promise!! Otherwise you leave a soul feeling very alone with people all around them. I thank you Jesus for what you doing, and I praise your name in the midst.

1 comment:

  1. Amen and Amen! My first log-in to follow you today - what a privilege:) GOD IS ON THE MOVE IN CAMBODIA and you get to be a part of the adventure. How marvelous is our God!
    Thanks for specifics to pray... be safe - go out with someone you know and trust...
    my first time to Kenya I realized afresh how God did a great job on language at the Tower of Babyon!

    ReplyDelete